Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Time for a Haircut!


Tommy's last mohawk for a while...

Today started out sad. We have been pulling on Tommy's hair everyday since he started chemo, and today was the first day that it started falling out. I was really hoping that he would be the one in 100 or so kids who's hair doesn't fall out with all this chemo, no such luck! I started to cry! Tommy was wondering why I was crying so Tom told him that he would start to lose his hair from the medicine he was taking. Tommy actually took it a lot better than I had expected, he just smiled and said OK. We told him we're going to have all his buddies and cousins come up to have a head shaving party for him, he liked the sound of that. So this weekend we're gonna be cuttin', so if you want to join in and support Tommy, he would love it. I am just glad that Tommy is a boy, I can't imagine how much harder it would be to watch your little girls hair fall out. It has been an emotional day for me. Tommy is doing fine, he's just eating mac n' cheese at 9:30 in the morning, that is after he had a huge bowl of Honey Nut Cheerios (he loves those), a banana, toast, chocolate milk, and juice. They're not kiddin' when they say these steriods make him hungry! It is so cute to look at him, he doesn't look like little Tommy anymore, his face is so chubby and his belly isn't so little anymore. We love his cute chubby cheeks, and he does too! Tommorrow we go up to the clinic just for chemo-thank goodness! Tommy couldn't be happier that we don't have to go back to the RTU tomorrow. He has prayed everyday that he wouldn't cry when they put the port back in, he's such a brave kid. I was thinking the other day about all the times that Tommy and I would fight, he has always been my toughest, strongest-willed child. It makes me so sad that we had to butt heads so much in the past, if I would have known Tommy would have to endure such a trial, I would have treated him a little differently. I am so sorry, and I know that he knows that and knows that I would do ANYTHING for him. Maybe this trial is the reason why he has been so tough his whole life, so that he would be prepared to fight this HUGE battle. I know that he has angels surrounding him, helping him get through this difficult time, because he handles everything so maturely for a 4 year old. I don't know how he could be as strong and sweet as he has been otherwise. With these steroids they say that the kids can either be really angry or really happy. The only time he is really angry is when we are at the hospital, other than that he has been such a sweetheart. He tells me he loves me all the time, and makes sure to thank me for helping him. Thank you all for your continued support for our family and our sweet Tommy. He will continue to need your prayers, it is what is getting us through this hard time.

4 comments:

  1. I want to come and join the head shaving party. I can even bring my own clippers to help if there are a lot of people. I don't have much hair to start, but it sounds like fun. Plus, it's about time I get up there and say hi. Post a time when it starts. Thanks!

    Rick

    ReplyDelete
  2. The head shaving party sounds fun, what a great idea!!! I do think it would be hard with girls. I can't even imagine what one of my girls would do if they had to lose all their hair. Glad to hear Tommy is one tough little dude. His pictures are all beautiful!!! He is included in our family prayer every night. Let us know if you need anything.

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are there let the head shaving begin!!! Kolsyn is excited to be there as long as he can have "a few sticky-ups" and Ashtonshaves his head too. Kol wants to say to Tommy "Hello, I wish we could play more toys.I am saving two bubble gums for you. It was good to c u for a minute. Have a good day." You know we love you guys.. especially Tommy. We are always just a few steps away whenever. Tnx for doing this FANTASTIC blog...Even after long hard days....stay strong. We read it every night before Kol goes to bed and says his special prayer for his "best buddy." What we learn from these amazing kids. We love to see those pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just want to hug him! What an adorable boy he is! And you seem like such great parents too! You are definitely in my prayers!!

    ReplyDelete