Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Hair was Flyin'!












Our Head shaving party was a HUGE success, we had so much support from our families, friends, and neighbors. Thank you all SO MUCH for coming to support Tommy, it really meant a lot to him. We ended up shaving way more heads than we anticipated. We had 26 boys and dads shave their heads. It was so fun to see all the little cousins and friends want to do it for Tommy, he has the best friends and cousins! It was emotional shaving Tommy's head , I think everything kinda hit home. He really looks like a cancer patient now. I am so grateful we have so much support for our family and our little Tommy, it is truly overwhelming! Tommy was so excited about his party, we had to end the celebration with FIREWORKS! It was a fantastic night, and all dedicated to Tommy, he so deserved it. Thank you ALL for coming and please thank your cute boys for shaving their heads in the middle of the cold winter for Tommy.
This week has been hard on Tommy. His body has weakened a lot, he can barely walk. One of the side effects the steroid has is that it weakens the bones over time, and it is definitely taking it's toll on Tommy. Thank goodness we are off that stupid steroid this week, I think. Also the chemo that he is on, Vincristin, causes the nerves to be super tender. So everytime you touch Tommy, it hurts. Everything on his body was hurting him today from the tips of his fingers to his toes, poor guy! We switch chemo's this month too, so that side effect will go away and then we get to experience all kinds of different side effects...GOOD TIMES! He didn't want to go to school Friday or Monday, we are hoping he will want to go tomorrow. As of today he really wanted to, I think it'll be good for him to get out and be with his friends. We'll let you know how that goes. The next 3 or 4 Thursdays he has to have Lumbar Punctures and Bone Marrow biopsy's to make sure that the leukemia is still dying. This week it should be gone, we are praying! If it isn't at 0.1% or lower Leukemia cells left, he will be placed in the high risk group and will have to undergo more intense treatment. Please say a special prayer for Tommy that it will be gone, so he won't have to suffer any more than necessary.
We love you all and are so extremely grateful for all your continued prayers, thoughts, messages, the meals that you all have been so generous in bringing by, the help with our kids, the cleaning lady you all have donated to (THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!), being Brooklyn's taxi, coming over and forcing me to get out of the house, doing my laundry, cleaning my house, fasting for Tommy, putting his name in the temples, snowplowing our driveway, and just being there for us, whether we laugh, cry, or vent about how much we hate cancer. I can't tell you how much " We are thinking of you in these hard times" means to us. I can't express to you all our sincere gratitude. I have a hard time accepting help, I am working on that. Hopefully someday we can return the very much appreciated gesture you have all so graciously shown our family, let's just hope its under different circumstances. You will all be blessed for your charity. May God bless you and your wonderful families this year! THANK YOU ALL!!
By the way, I have some more great pictures of the whole group, my computer doesn't want to let me put them on. I will work on it.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like a great party. A huge success. And we hope and pray the cancer is gone. What a trooper that little boy is! I can only imagine how emotional it must have been watching his hair being shaved. It does make it so real. Hang in there...prayers are ALWAYS being said in your families behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure it's a great feeling to know you have so many friends and family supporting you! I'm glad that this difficult night was able to turn into such a great celebration of hope. Your little Tommy is such a strong kid! We will continue to pray for him and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled on your blog, but what a touching story/party! I hope you don't mind, but I'm adding you to my list to keep posted on your boys recovery!
    My prayers are with your family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a wonderful celebration that you created out of something that is so hard. It made me cry when you said you shaved 26 heads....what LOVE you have in your life. I am grateful that you have people taht surround you with that kind of support. I wish we were closer so we could lend a helping hand. You have our love and prayers. oxox

    ReplyDelete
  5. So sorry we couldn't make it but really no boys in our crew. He he....Tommy is such a special boy and we are thankful for your friendship. I don't believe anyone his age should have to deal with this but hopefully as outsiders we will learn from this. Please call me if you need anying...love ya!

    ReplyDelete