Saturday, December 20, 2008

Life Changing Week

This has been a life altering experience for this little family. I'm probably not going to write a whole lot on this blog but leave most of it up to Heidi but I had to say something before I forgot.

Wow, what a week! One moment you have a perfectly healthy son and the next he's going through Hell. What I wouldn't do to take the burden he is bearing away from him and carry it myself. Unfortunately that's not the way life works. For some reason this little person has to endure something that no person should have to think about going through. It's one of the tests that Tommy has to overcome and I know he will. It just amazes me at how quickly life can change in an instant. This is the most humbling experience of my life. I thought I loved my kids before this and now I want nothing more than to spend time with them just to hang on to memories and let them enjoy their daddy. Nothing is more important. The trials that I thought were tough in our life before this are nothing compared to when someone does not have their health and just having to watch them suffer is so painful.

There is a positive side to this and a huge Silver Lining. Tommy could have been much worse. The cancer did not go into the spinal column, it was not the AML type of Leukemia, it's not an incurable tumor and he's such a stud about all of this. There is a very high cure rate which gives comfort. I never thought that a little guy could have so much Valor. It's amazing to see what the human body and spirit can endure when tried and tested. I thank the Lord daily for the positive results in the matter. This is going to be a good experience for this family. We'll be much stronger in the end and I know Tommy will pull through a fighter and survivor. I only wish I had his strength.

Tonight Heidi called me back to the hospital because Tommy had stopped breathing. I rushed back with snow packed roads and luckily was only at my bro-in-laws house picking up my youngest, Zac. John came with and we administered another blessing which I'm sure he'll need more. It just seems to me that in a way my boy wants to go home and get away from it all. I can't write this because it's making me emotional and for anyone who knows me I don't share my thoughts like this. But I know that he's not done hear and for whatever reason needs to stick around long enough to complete his task that he was sent here to do. Part of that task for him that was so important is happening right now, bringing people together and strengthening families. It's so amazing to me how the Lord knows best. This has litterly brought me to my knees and given me humility to know how to handle the situation that's been placed in front my family and me. It has brought people together. We have had an amazing amount of love and support. People really know how to rally when someone is down and it has blown me away at how many of you sincerely care and are willing to help in any way. Thank you all so much!

If there's anything that any one of us can learn from this is that life is fragile and you need to make the most of every moment of your life because life changes quickly. This is already a positive event and I want everyone who reads this to know that we'll make it through this. The prayers on Tommy's behalf, generosity and helping hands will only help. Again, thank you from the Hasletons.

2 comments:

  1. Hey guys. This is Jeff. I'm sure Heidi will post a little later. Just wanted you guys to know we are thinking/praying for you every day. I really admire the faith you are showing. As a dad, I think we always want to just fix everything and you can't really do that with this. I was really impressed with your attitude and faith. How's he doing with the medicine? Thanks for posting on the blog. We're here to help if at all possible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi heidi,
    i am soooo proud of you!!! you are so strong and such a good mom to tommy! We love little tommy so much! Parker can't go one day without mentioning his best friend Tommy! Hang in there, you are truly amazing. We love you guys so much. You are always in our prayers!
    Love, geri

    ReplyDelete