Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Update on Tommy


Tommy has really slowed down again, his treatment is really taking a toll on his little body. The last week or so he hasn't wanted to do much but eat and sleep. You gotta love steroids! I have had it with these steroids, fighting with Tommy to take 4 pills in the morning and 3 1/2 at night, and him eating all day and all night is getting exhausting. I am trying to be so patient with his moodiness, and trying to remember it's not him it's the steroids talking, but it is worse than a girl. We can't let Zachy cry or be his normal loud self or Tommy screams at him, the steroids must make everything much louder than it really is. He gets headaches daily from the side-effects of them. The only thing Tommy wants right now is quesadillas, yesterday we ran out of tortillas, you would have thought it was the end of the world at our house. He was yelling at me to go to the store first thing in the morning to get more. He ended up going to his buddy Kolsyn's house and told Tifini he had to have a quesadilla...Thanks Tiff, you're a life-saver! So by the end of the day, he had had 6 quesadillas. He has put on some more weight, he looks cute and chubby. He doesn't like to tell me what he wants either, it's all a mind game...ahhhh! Sorry just had to vent. The last few days have put me over the top! Bless his heart, he is miserable I understand that. I am just really looking forward to Thursday when we are OFF these steroids again.
I love that little boy, it is so hard to see him suffering this way. The last week he's been really sick, achy, and tired. If we can just get through about the next 5 or 6 weeks we're in good shape, they'll be the toughest 6 weeks we've had so far. At least that is what the doctors, nurses and the Jamieson's tell us. We'll see, maybe it won't be as hard as they anticipate. But I am prepared ( I think) for the worst, just in case. As long as Tommy doesn't get any funky viruses or the swine flu, he should be alright.
Thank you all for your continued support. We love you and are so grateful to all our families and friends for being our rock through this trial. We are so fortunate to have the gospel and for all the blessings it brings into our lives. We thank our Father in Heaven everyday for our little Tommy. Please continue to pray for him.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to your family. He seems like a tough little dude. But, even the tough ones have a hard time, right? You are an awesome mom with a great attitude. Way to go! We are always thinking of your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Heidi, you're doing great! I can't imagine the toll these times must put on you, the mother, and on your nerves and heartstrings.
    Well I hope you are able to stock up some more tortillas soon and get that boy his quesadillas!! :)
    I have enjoyed keeping up with Tommy's blog, the poor little guy! I hope and pray he comes out of this sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have stumbled across your blog through my sister. My daughter, Eliza, is in remission from leukemia (ALL). In fact she just hit her year mark off of treatment. I am reading this post and so many memories come back. I remember telling a doctor that unless the steroids were saving her life, she wasn't going to take them anymore. Of course she still took them, but it is the worst (and I guess the best since it helps) of drugs. Eliza wouldn't really talk to us either to tell us what she wanted. She would grunt and point and hopefully we got it right. It is a really hard time but it gets better. Once we hit maintenance things got so much better! We still had some bumps in the road, but everything was a lot better. Hang in there!

    Christy Brian

    If you want to read more on Eliza you can visit her carepage: www.carepages.com (carepage name: ElizaLynnBrian)

    ReplyDelete